Reviewed by Lisa Blohm, PhD, MSN, RN
Disclaimer: The following information has not been approved by the FDA. This information should not be interpreted as medical advice and is not a substitute for a visit with a medical care professional. Always speak to your doctor about any health concerns.
The practice of detoxification is based on the principle that illness can be caused by toxic accumulation in the body. By removing these toxins, you can allow your body to heal.
This method of healing has been in practice for thousands of years and is now supported by the conventional medical community. In fact, the Center for Disease Control estimates that 80% of diseases can be linked to environmental and lifestyle causes.
Some conditions associated with toxic accumulation include:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic infections
- Environmental illness
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol
- Digestive disorders
- Mental illness
- Multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome
Thankfully, there are natural detox supplements that work very effectively to remove toxins from the body and restore health!
DETOX VS CLEANSE
You’ve probably heard the terms detox and cleanse –– they both are popular topics in the health community. Because these terms are often used interchangeably, and they have many similarities, people have a false understanding of what differentiates cleansing and detoxification.
- Detoxification: The purpose of detoxification is to draw toxins from “storage” in the body, turning them into waste that can be eliminated from the body.
- Cleansing: The purpose of cleansing is to clean out the digestive tract of toxins, parasites, fungi, and impacted fecal matter.
Both detoxification and cleansing are valuable therapeutic practices, with differing target areas, yet similar goals of improving overall and long-term health.
WHY DETOXIFICATION IS IMPORTANT
The dangers of environmental pollutants have become a common topic, but few people are aware of the extent of the problem. Our bodies are bombarded with toxins that are by-products of industry, agricultural chemicals, and medical treatments and medications.
According to the CDC fact sheet, Chemicals, Cancer and You, more than 100,000 chemicals are used by Americans, and about 1,000 new chemicals are introduced each year. These chemicals are found in everyday items, such as foods, personal products, packaging, prescription drugs, and household and lawn care products.
Toxin exposure has become unavoidable and extremely dangerous!
Our bodies weren’t designed to deal with such vast amounts of chemical substances. When a body is overloaded and unable to process and remove toxins, they are stored throughout the body –– a protective measure that can have serious long-term health consequences.
Here are the places the body stores toxins:
- Your Fat: We carry fat in many places on the body. Belly fat is the most common. But toxins that are stored in visceral fat (fat on and surrounding our liver, pancreas, kidneys, GI tract, and other organs) exposes sensitive organs to dangerous toxins. The brain is estimated to be made from 60 to 80% fat and fat in the form of myelin wraps around our nerves. Both of these areas are very susceptible to damage from toxins.
- Your Blood: The good news is that this is the easiest place for your body to remove toxins. The bad news is that when the liver and kidneys are overworked, the toxins continue to be recirculated throughout the body, building up and causing further damage to those systems designed to remove them.
- Your Bones: Lead is the most common toxin stored in the bones. Anytime the body draws calcium from the bones the lead can also be mobilized into the blood –– placing organs and tissue at risk. This is especially harmful to a developing fetus.
- Your Connective Tissue, Lymph Fluid and Joints: This area of toxin storage has increased due to our current sedentary nature. Exercise increases fluid movement through these areas, increasing oxygen and nutrition, which helps the body move toxins into the blood where the natural detoxification process works to eliminate them from the body.
We obviously have a real need to keep these dangerous substances from being stored in the body. This goes beyond digging deep to remove stored toxins; we need to use natural detox supplements to support elimination on a regular basis, perhaps even daily.
The Seven Channels of Elimination
The body has built-in mechanisms for detoxification called the seven channels of elimination:
- Lymph system
The liver is the principal organ performing this process, assisted by the kidneys and intestines, but all seven areas may take part. If any of the channels of elimination are not functioning properly, additional strain is placed on the others. This may result in a cascade of failure, as toxins that cannot be removed are recirculated in the blood or are stored throughout the body, causing damage, illness, and disease.
NATURAL DETOX SUPPLEMENTS
There are a variety of vitamins, minerals, and herbs that work as natural detox supplements. There are multiple approaches to their use:
- Bowel Support: If you want to remove toxins, you can’t ignore the health of your digestive system. Constipation must be addressed before embarking on a detoxification program.
- Supplements for Daily Use: These natural detox supplements provide daily support to your natural detoxification processes. They are not meant to draw out toxins that have been stored in the body. Their purpose to is to strengthen and increase the efficiency of your body’s natural systems for detox.
- Supplements for Deeper Toxin Removal: Drawing toxins out of “storage” is hard work for the body but very important for your health now, and in the future. The best approach for deep detoxification is incremental use –– several weeks or a month of detox, followed by a rest period or break. During your break, continue to include supplements for daily use that support the body’s natural detoxification processes, as mentioned above.
There isn’t a specific list of detox supplements that will work best for you. Everyone’s toxin load and bodies are different. The Wellness Consultants at The Healthy Place have been trained to help you determine which detox supplements are best suited to your health needs. They will consider what products you are currently taking, what areas need support, and then recommend detox supplements tailored to your situation.
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT DETOX
- Support the Colon: One of the most important things you can do to support your body’s ability to remove toxins is to keep bowel function moving. Toxins that aren’t removed quickly through the colon can be reabsorbed into the bloodstream. Constipation can also result in waste fermenting or rotting in the colon. It is very important that your detox program addresses the health and function of the colon. You do not want to draw toxins out of storage if you cannot remove them from the body!
- Drink Water: Your colon and kidneys need lots of pure water to work efficiently. Other liquids do not assist this process –– many actually work as diuretics. Make sure the water is filtered, and not stored in plastic (a source of those toxins you are working to remove). We recommend using a Berkey System for water filtration. They are simple to use and set up, require no plumbing attachments, and provide high quality purified water. Stop in one of our four locations for a taste test and demonstration.
- Nutritional Support: A detox program is a lot of work for the body. Adding a greens powder to your daily regimen gives an added boost of high-quality nutrition that is easily absorbed, with minimal digestion necessary. You should also work to keep your diet as clean as possible, avoiding processed foods and potential allergens.
- Exercise: As hard as exercise can be to implement, it is one of the most valuable things you can do for your body. In terms of detoxification, exercise is important in a number of ways! It reduces constipation, increases lymph flow and fluid movement in connective tissue and joints, increases circulation, strengthens lungs, oxygenates the blood, and removes toxins through sweat. But don’t get that the wrong impression exercise is only beneficial if you work up a sweat — your detox efforts will be aided by any increased movement.
Myths concerning detoxification abound. Contrary to what you may have heard, you aren’t going to get dreadfully sick and need to spend days in bed. YOU are in control of the process! If you are feeling awful, reduce your detox supplements. The most discomfort you should feel during a detox is mild flu-like symptoms.
We can’t eliminate toxin exposure but can take steps to reduce it and support our body’s ability to eliminate toxins!
Working Toward Healthier Living
The mission of The Healthy Place is to educate and empower our customers. We want you to take control of your health. We want you to feel fit and strong. We want you to “Find Your Healthy Place”!
Call or stop in any of our four store locations in Fitchburg , Sun Prairie, Middleton, and Madison Wisconsin. A member of our team will help you choose supplements that support your health needs!
*Disclaimer: All information and recommendations given on this site, in email correspondence, newsletters or other materials provided by The Healthy Place is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice nor be viewed as a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a healthcare provider. Consult a licensed healthcare practitioner before modifying, stopping, or starting the use of any medications, health programs, diets, and/or supplements, as well as regarding any health concerns you may have. Our statements and information have not been evaluated or approved by the Food and Drug Administration. As with any health-related program, product, or service, your risks and results may vary. We expressly disclaim responsibility to any person or entity for any liability, loss, or damage caused directly or indirectly as a result of the use, application, or interpretation of the information provided to you here.”
The Healthy Place – Apple Wellness
6313 McKee Road Suite 100
Fitchburg, WI 53719
The Healthy Place – Apple Wellness
550 Junction Road
Madison, WI 53717
The Healthy Place – Apple Wellness
2824 Prairie Lakes Drive Suite 108
Sun Prairie, WI 53590
The Healthy Place – Apple Wellness
6709 Frank Lloyd Wright Ave Suite 100
Middleton, WI 53562