in this article:
Well-rounded nutrition is the foundation of health! If your diet is lacking in variety, it’s time to branch out. Breakfast is a wonderful way to take advantage of all the food groups. While protein for breakfast is a common go-to, eating eggs and bacon can only get you so far! This Tasty Tuesday, we’re diving into a well-rounded breakfast recipe. Our Quick & Simple Berries and Cream Smoothie packs a wide variety of nutrients, from energizing protein to immune-boosting antioxidants!* This nourishing smoothie is perfect for anyone on the go – it’s an easy one-step recipe to throw in the blender, and it appeals to the whole family! That’s right, even kids will love this nutrient-packed breakfast option.
Foundations of a Good Breakfast
We all know that skipping breakfast is a bad idea. Unfortunately, quick breakfast options often involve high-sugar, low protein cereals that only provide empty calories. These foods may taste good, but they soon leave your body craving real nutrition.
Beginning each day with an energy-rich protein source is a go-to for many health-conscious people. Protein provides sustained satiety that reduces hunger and improves focus all day long! This article from The American Society for Nutrition breaks down the importance of not only eating breakfast, but focusing that breakfast on protein-rich foods.
When we think of high-protein breakfasts, our minds often go to eggs served up a hundred different ways and usually with a side of bacon or sausages. Fortunately, there are many other tasty ways to achieve a high-protein breakfast! Our Berries and Cream Smoothie features a healthy dose of protein in a delicious, sweet smoothie form. It features antioxidant-rich berries, heart-healthy hemp hearts, and high-fiber chia seeds — all to support your body from head to toe!
Antioxidants – And Why It’s Important to Get Plenty of Them!
Antioxidants are beneficial vitamins, minerals, and natural compounds that boost your immune system. These special antioxidants promote whole-body wellness! They fight oxidative stress and seek out harmful free radicals that may cause cellular damage. Getting a wide range of potent antioxidants is a major part of long-term health and vitality. To get the full rundown on antioxidants and their benefits, check out our blog post Foundational Five: Antioxidants!
Some of the best antioxidant-rich foods are fruits and vegetables! Compounds like polyphenols and flavonoids are abundant in berries like blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Kale and red cabbage are high in antioxidants too — but we suspect you might be a bigger fan of the antioxidants in chocolate.
All that to say — there are many ways to add additional antioxidants to your wellness routine! One of our favorites is Green Vibrance, a super greens drink mix. It makes getting greens and antioxidants insanely easy.
Super Seeds: Chia and Hemp!
This Berries and Cream Smoothie Recipe features two superfood seeds to start your day well. Chia Seeds and Hemp Hearts have many overlapping benefits:
- Excellent source of plant-based Omega-3 fatty acids
- Supports cardiovascular and nervous system health!*
- Rich in fiber and promotes healthy digestion!*
- Full of plant-based protein
- Packed with minerals like zinc, calcium, and phosphorus as well as vitamins E and B
These super healthy seeds are an easy addition to many recipes, and this delicious smoothie is no exception! Supporting your health holistically begins with adding superfoods to your diet for ample vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
How to Choose Protein Powder
There is a wide variety of natural protein powder at The Healthy Place. Boosting your protein intake has never been easier! There are two primary categories to choose from when it comes to protein — plant-based and whey.
- Whey Protein: Dairy-based protein isolate provides complete protein – all the amino acids needed by your body are packed into this comprehensive powder! Unfortunately, whey protein can be difficult for some bodies to digest – especially those with dairy sensitivity. As for vegans, this is obviously a no-go.
- Plant-Based Protein: Plant-based protein powders are derived from peas or soy, and contain equal amounts of protein as whey. These powders are the ideal option for vegetarians, vegans, and those with dairy allergies! (If you have nut or soy allergies, pay close attention to the ingredient lists!)
It can take a long time to narrow down the best protein powder for this Berries and Cream Smoothie, so we’ve done the research for you. We selected two of our favorite, top-selling proteins – one for each category!
For a classic whey protein smoothie, you will love Solgar Whey To Go Protein Powder. This whey protein promotes amino acid absorption for a complete protein boost. Whey to Go boasts 20g of protein in every scoop. High protein breakfast, here we come!
Are you hoping to keep things dairy-free? Organifi Protein is a delicious vegan-friendly organic protein powder that also offers 20g of protein per serving! This super protein powder even includes a vitamin and mineral boost. If you’re worried about soy – don’t be! Organifi Protein is soy-free.
Healthy Recipe Modifications
This Berries and Cream Smoothie is a wonderful option for those with dietary restrictions who still want access to a high protein breakfast. There are many ways to make this recipe work for your dietary needs, from adjusting milk alternatives to switching up your protein powders. This recipe offers health benefits for everyone! Let’s take a closer look at options.
Selecting Milk Alternatives
There are many milk alternatives on the market today. Here are some of your options to include in your Berries and Cream Smoothie!
- Almond Milk: This delicious, low-calorie milk is easy to find and easy on the wallet. Unfortunately, almond milk does have a few drawbacks. This article from the University of California San Francisco describes the environmental impacts of almond farming.
- Hemp Milk: This eco-friendly milk is also diet-friendly. It has more health-boosting fats than other milk alternatives. Not to mention, it’s delicious and frothy! Unfortunately, hemp milk can get expensive and may be difficult to find.
- Pea Milk: Pea milk offers a vegetarian protein boost to your Berries and Cream Smoothie! It is very affordable and has been steadily increasing in popularity.
- Soy Milk: This milk option is low in calories, affordable, and has a neutral flavor that blends up great in a smoothie! For women who struggle with balancing their reproductive hormones, however, you may want to consider a different option. Soy contains a high concentration of isoflavones, a type of plant estrogen (phytoestrogen) that is similar in function to human estrogen. If you’ve got high estrogen, a soy-free milk alternative would be better to support reproductive and thyroid balance. (For further reading, take a look at our Guide To Women’s Thyroid Health!)
- Oat Milk: This option is derived from whole oat grains. Oat milk has a creamy texture and oatmeal-like flavor. It’s delicious, but tends to be higher in natural sugars than other options.
- Coconut Milk: This is one of our favorites! Not only is coconut rich, creamy, and delicious, it’s also high in healthy fats!
The bottom line is: better nutrition begins with breakfast! Our tasty Berries and Cream Smoothie is the perfect way to add protein, antioxidants, and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals to your day – in a jiffy! With only one simple step to blend up a better breakfast, there is no quicker, easier way to start your day on a healthy foot.
Visit The Healthy Place today to choose the best protein powder for your super smoothie, so you can take advantage of this nutritional powerhouse breakfast! Read on to see the recipe we’re so excited about:
Berries & Cream Smoothie Recipe
1/2 cup frozen riced cauliflower
1 cup frozen berries
1 cup almond or other dairy free milk
2 soaked dates OR 1/2 a banana
1 tbs chia seeds
1 tbs hemp hearts
1 scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder
Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth!